Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The value of a family’s medical history

Throughout the process of determining a diagnosis for my daughter, the one question that every doctor asked was about family medical history. I thought we had a general idea of the overall health, but in reality, we were way off.

Both my husband and I are from very large families, and the fact is, people only mention the obvious or more serious ailments. At one point, I actually sent out an email to everyone in a desperate attempt to provide one of the many doctors a clue to family medical history that may help.

I guess my point to all of this is that knowing your families medical history does have value and should be discussed among family members. In my case, my mother was adopted; she did have contact with her maternal relatives, but we do not know anything about the biological father.

No comments: